SOL Practice Items (All Subjects)
About the Practice Items
The Practice Items are test items grouped by content area and grade level or course available for use by teachers, parents, and students in Virginia. They serve as examples of the types of online test items, including technology-enhanced items (TEI), that are presented to students during an online state assessment. The Practice Items are representative of academic content included in the Standards of Learning, and they provide an opportunity for students to practice with the online tools and features of TestNav, the online testing software used in Virginia.
Please note that the practice item sets are not complete tests and are not intended to cover all content for the grade level or course. While the practice items provide examples of some TEI, they are not intended to represent all types of functionality associated with these item types.
Computer Adaptive Testing
Visit Computer Adaptive Testing (CAT) for information about mathematics and reading CAT tests.
Accessing the Practice Items
The Practice Items can be accessed using a standard Web browser and selecting the link below.
An alternative way to access the Practice Items is to download and install the TestNav application.
Note: While the Practice Items can be viewed on various devices, students will only complete state assessments on devices with a minimum 9.5” screen size.
TestNav Introduction Documents
It is highly recommended that teachers or other adults read the introduction documents prior to reading the following Guided Practice Suggestions:
- The Introduction to TestNav 8: Multiple-Choice/Technology-Enhanced Item Tests (Word) - an introduction to the online navigation, online tools, accessibility features, and overall functionality and appearance of multiple-choice/technology-enhanced item tests in TestNav 8. It is highly recommended that teachers or other adults read the Introduction to TestNav 8: Multiple-Choice/Technology-Enhanced Item Tests document prior to reading the Guided Practice Suggestions for a practice item set.
- The Introduction to TestNav 8: Writing Tool (Word) (Applicable to the Grade 8 or EOC Writing Test only) - an introduction to the online navigation, online tools, accessibility features, and overall functionality and appearance of the Writing Tool in TestNav 8. It is highly recommended that teachers or other adults read the Introduction to TestNav 8: Writing Tool prior to reading the Guided Practice Suggestions for the Grade 8 or EOC Writing Tool.
Guided Practice Suggestions
The Guided Practice Suggestions are designed to be used in conjunction with the practice items. Access the practice items for each course prior to opening the guide.
The Guided Practice Suggestions provide specific suggestions for teachers as they lead students through a practice item set or with the practice Writing Tool. Following these suggestions will ensure that students are exposed to the different tools within TestNav, the different functionality features of technology-enhanced items (TEI), and common messages that may appear as students complete TEI.
- Mathematics Tools Practice (Word)
- Mathematics Items Practice (Word)
- Science Practice Items (Word)
- Earth Science (PDF)
- Biology (PDF)
- Chemistry (PDF)
History & Social Science
- Reading Items Practice (2017) (Word) - This guide provides specific item information for each question in the Reading practice items for Grades 3-8 and EOC based on the 2017 Standards of Learning. Information on how tabs are used to display paired reading selections in an online test is also included.
- Tabbed Passages Demonstration (PDF) - Information on how tabs are used to display paired reading selections in an online test based on the 2010 Reading SOL.
- EOC Reading (PDF)
Writing and the Writing Tool
- Grade 8 Writing (Word)
- End of Course Writing (Word)
- Grade 8 and End of Course Practice Writing Tool (Word)
Integrated Reading and Writing Items (Field Test Practice)
- Integrated Reading and Writing Items (Word) - This guide provides specific item information for each question for Grades 5, 8, and EOC based on the 2017 English Standards of Learning. Information on tool functionality for the writing prompt is also included.
- Checklist for Writers: The Checklist for Writers will be provided as an Exhibit in the online test delivery system on the item that presents a writing prompt based on the accompanying nonfiction passage.
- Scoring rubrics: These holistic rubrics are aligned to the 2017 English SOL and will be used to score the written response for the new assessment item type.
- Upper Elementary Scoring Rubrics (Word) - This is the same rubric used to score local alternative assessments in grade 5 writing.
- Middle School Scoring Rubrics (Word) - This rubric is aligned to the 2017 English SOL. This rubric is different from the Grade 8 Writing Rubric used to score the Writing SOL tests that measure the 2010 English SOL.
- High School Writing Rubrics (Word) - This is the same rubric used to score local performance assessments that are used to verify credits in writing.