Board Meetings, Agendas and Minutes
News & Announcements
Virginia Board of Education Public Notice – March 22-23, 2023
The Virginia Board of Education will convene on Wednesday, March 22, and Thursday, March 23, for their monthly meetings. The meetings each day will begin at 8:00 a.m. All meetings will be held in the Board Room, located on the 22nd Floor of the James Monroe Building, 101 North 14th Street, Richmond, VA 23219, March 22-23, 2023 unless otherwise noted. All meetings are open to the public and will be livestreamed on the VDOE YouTube channel. Due to limited capacity on the 22nd Floor, overflow seating will be available in Conference Rooms B of the Monroe Building. The meeting will be livestreamed to the conference room. The Board president reserves the right to change the times listed on this schedule depending upon the time constraints during the meetings. Please note the Security Protocols for the James Monroe Building:
- All visitors to the James Monroe Building must show Photo ID and sign in at the security desk on the first floor. When you arrive, please pass through the security screening, sign-in at the security desk and let them know you are attending the Board of Education meeting. All visitors must have an escort to and from the security desk to the meeting location.
- Please allow time for these security protocols. Security desk hours are from 8:00AM to 5:00PM. We appreciate your patience and commitment to ensuring the safety of all employees and guests.
Wednesday, March 22, 2023
- The Board will convene in a business session, beginning at 8:00 a.m. The purpose of convening this meeting is for the Board to go into executive session under Virginia Code §2.2-3711(A)(40). Public comment will not be accepted during this time.
- Board of Education members will break for lunch at 12:00 p.m., in the 25th Floor Conference Room. No votes will be taken, and it is open to the public.
- The Board will convene in a work session at 1:30 p.m. Public comment will not be accepted.
- Board of Education members will meet for dinner at 6:30 p.m. at the Hard Shell (1411 East Cary Street, Richmond, VA 23219). Items for the Board agenda may be discussed informally at the dinner. No votes will be taken, and it’s open to the public.
Thursday, March 23, 2023
- The Board of Education will hold its monthly business meeting, beginning at 8:00 a.m. Public comment will be accepted.
- The Board of Education will accept public comment in advance of the March meeting through the Board of Education Comment Form. This form collects public comments for review by the members of the Board. The Board accepts comments from the public on all matters related to public education in Virginia. Comments may be submitted at any time, but will be collected and shared with Board members as part of the meeting materials for its next scheduled business meeting.
- Members of the public may signup to address the Board at one of its scheduled business meetings by using the Board of Education Public Comment Sign-Up Form. Requests to address the Board should be submitted no later than the day before the scheduled business meeting, but may be requested at the meeting at the discretion of the President.
- For all meetings, persons are encouraged to print items of interest as hard copies will not be available at the meeting site. Wi-Fi is available in the meeting room.
If you have any questions, please contact Megan Perez, Executive Assistant of Board Relations, at Megan.Perez@doe.virginia.gov.
Meetings of the Virginia Board of Education to Receive Public Comment on the Proposed Revised 2023 History and Social Science Standards of Learning
The Virginia Board of Education will convene meetings in order to hold public hearings on the Proposed Revised 2023 History and Social Science Standards of Learning. Each public hearing will begin at 7:00 p.m. Registration of speakers will begin at 6:30 p.m. Speakers will have three minutes to speak and should bring copies of their comments for the Board of Education. The public hearings will be held at the following locations:
- Monday, March 13, 2023
2110 Jamestown Rd, Williamsburg
- Tuesday, March 14, 2023
George Washington’s Mount Vernon
3200 Mount Vernon Memorial Highway, Mount Vernon
- Wednesday, March 15, 2023
Piedmont Community College
501 College Drive, Charlottesville
- Thursday, March 16, 2023
O. Winston Link & History Museum of Western Virginia
101 Shenandoah Ave NE, Roanoke
- Monday, March 20, 2023
Southwest Higher Education Center
1 Partnership Circle, Abingdon
- Tuesday, March 21, 2023
Robert Russa Moton Museum
900 Griffin Blvd, Farmville
The Board is also accepting public comment in advance of the meeting using this Public Comment Form.
2023 Board of Education Meetings
February 1-2, 2023
- Executive Session - February 1, 2023
- Work Session - February 1, 2023
- Business Meeting - February 2, 2023
March 22-23, 2023
- Executive Session - March 22, 2023
- Work Session - March 22, 2023
- Business Meeting - March 23, 2023
April 18-20, 2023
- Executive Session - April 18, 2023
- Work Session - April 18, 2023
- Board Retreat - April 19, 2023
- Business Meeting - April 20, 2023
June 14-15, 2023
- Executive Session - June 14, 2023
- Work Session - June 14, 2023
- Business Meeting - June 15, 2023
July 19-20, 2023
- Executive Session - July 19, 2023
- Work Session - July 19, 2023
- Business Meeting - July 20, 2023
September 13-14, 2023
- Executive Session - September 13, 2023
- Work Session - September 13, 2023
- Business Meeting - September 14, 2023
October 18-19, 2023
- Executive Session - October 18, 2023
- Work Session - October 18, 2023
- Business Meeting - October 19, 2023
November 15-16, 2023
- Executive Session - November 15, 2023
- Work Session - November 15, 2023
- Business Meeting - November 16, 2023
Previous Years Board of Education Meeting Materials
Advisory Committee Meetings
- ABTEL – Advisory Board on Teacher Education and Licensure
- VACEG – Virginia Advisory Committee for the Education of the Gifted
- SSEAC – State Special Education Advisory Committee
- Adult Education & Literacy Advisory Committee
- Advisory Committee for Career & Technical Education
Standing Committee Meetings
- Early Childhood Advisory Committee (ECAC)
- Virginia Council on the Interstate Compact on Educational Opportunity for Military Children (Virginia Council)
- Virginia Supplemental Early Language and Literacy Resources for Deafness/Hard of Hearing (VA SELLR-DHH) Project Advisory Committee
- Virtual Learning Advisory Committee