Every Student Succeeds Act
The Every Student Succeeds Act of 2015 (ESSA) amends the Elementary and Secondary Education Act (ESEA) and was signed into law on December 10, 2015. ESSA includes provisions that will help to ensure success for students and schools, such as the following.
- Title I: Improving the Academic Achievement of the Disadvantaged
- Title II: Preparing, Training, and Recruiting High Quality Principals and Teachers
- Title III: Language Instruction for English Learners and Immigrant Students
- Title IV: 21st Century Schools
- Title V: State Innovation and Local Flexibility
- Title VI: Indian, Native Hawaiian and Alaska Native Education
- Title VIII: Equitable Services for Private School Students, Teachers, and Other Educational Personnel
- Title IX, Part A: Homeless Education
The approved October 2020 Consolidated State Plan can be accessed through the links below.
- Every Student Succeeds Act of 2015 (Word) - ADA Compliant Version
- Every Student Succeeds Act of 2015 (PDF) - includes signatures
- Amendment 5 Letter of Approval from U.S. Department of Education
- U.S. Department of Education Website- Virginia Page
- Mathematics Waiver Request – Letter of Approval from U.S. Department of Education
- Letter of Approval for COVID-19 Amendment
Under ESSA, schools are identified for support and improvement based on multiple performance indicators.
- Academic Indicators
- School quality indicators
- Student success indicators
Refer to Federal Accountability to learn more about the federal identification process.