Special Education COVID-19 Information
Current Coronavirus Guidance for K-12 Schools and Child Care Programs is provided by the Virginia Department of Health. This guidance includes information about COVID-19 screening and at-home testing resources available to K-12 schools. COVID-19 information specific to Special Education is provided below.
Guidance from the U. S. Department of Education
The Virginia Department of Education (VDOE) continues to ensure additional guidance from the U. S. Department of Education (USED) is available directly to local school divisions. The USED's Office of Special Education Programs has also issued multiple Q & A documents related to COVID-19 and the implementation of IDEA under this pandemic. Additional U. S. Department of Education guidance specific to the COVID-19 pandemic may be found online at USED COVID-19 Resource Page.
- Letter to Educators and Parents Regarding New CDC Recommendations and Their Impact on Children With Disabilities (March 24, 2022)
- Long COVID under Section 504 and the IDEA: A Resource to Support Children, Students, Educators, Schools, Service Providers, and Families (July 26, 2021)
- Supporting Child and Student Social, Emotional, Behavioral and Mental Health (October 20, 2021)
- Supplemental Fact Sheet Addressing the Risk of COVID-19 in Preschool, Elementary and Secondary Schools While Serving Children with Disabilities (March 21, 2020)
- Questions and Answers on Providing Services to Children with Disabilities During the Coronavirus Disease 2019 Outbreak (March 2020)