Teaching in Virginia
Teacher Education & Licensure
The Virginia Department of Education licenses teachers and administrators according to regulations adopted by the Board of Education. The department also administers regulations governing educator preparation programs to ensure that teachers enter the classroom with content knowledge and instructional skills aligned to the Standards of Learning and other objectives for learning and achievement.
The department also administers programs to help school divisions recruit and retain highly qualified teachers and recognize instructional excellence.
Turning the Tide: A Strategic Plan to Address the Educator Shortage
Turning the Tide: Addressing the Educator Shortage in Virginia is a strategic plan that includes background on the educator shortage and provides recommendations for moving forward over the next three years. It is hoped that this plan will be helpful to Virginia’s school divisions, institutions of higher education, VDOE employees, and other stakeholders committed to securing a diverse, highly-qualified educator workforce and contribute to fulfilling our shared vision of maximizing the potential of all learners.
These actions are guided by the below goals and strategies and align with Governor Youngkin's Executive Directive Number 3:
- Goal 1: Reduce barriers for qualified individuals to enter the profession
- Goal 2: Increase the number of candidates eligible to fill public school divisions’ hard-to-staff positions
- Goal 3: Strengthen strategies to recruit and retain a diverse, highly-qualified educator workforce
- Strategy 1: Implement policies and practices to make careers in education more attractive and attainable
- Strategy 2: Implement programs and practices to recruit, support, and retain highly-qualified educators with an emphasis on critical shortage areas
Stay Informed with TeacherDirect
TeacherDirect provides a direct line of communication with classroom teachers and educators. TeacherDirect includes information about new instructional resources created by VDOE staff as well as professional development, grant opportunities, and other information of special interest to teachers and students.