Virginia Board of Education
The vision of the Board of Education and Superintendent of Public Instruction, in cooperation with their partners, is to create an excellent statewide system of public education that derives strength from our diversity and that ensures equity of opportunity for each student in a safe and healthy learning environment that prepares all students to be capable, responsible, and self-reliant citizens in the global society.
The mission of the Board of Education and Superintendent of Public Instruction, in cooperation with their partners, is to develop policies and provide leadership that improve student achievement and prepare students to succeed in postsecondary education and the workplace, and to become engaged and enlightened citizens.
The main duties of the Board of Education include the following:
- Setting statewide curriculum standards;
- Establishing high school graduation requirements;
- Determining qualifications for classroom teachers, principals, and other education personnel;
- Establishing state testing and assessment programs;
- Establishing standards for accreditation of local school divisions and preparation programs for teachers and administrators;
- Implementing the Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA) and administering federal assistance programs; and
- Developing rules and regulations for the administration of state programs.
The Board of Education consists of nine members appointed by the Governor, subject to confirmation by the General Assembly. Members are appointed to serve a term of four years. No member shall be appointed to more than two consecutive four-year terms.
In accordance with § 22.1-16 of the Code of Virginia, the board has adopted the Bylaws of the Virginia Board of Education for its own governance to carry out its powers and duties. The bylaws were last amended October 20, 2022.
Priorities & Goals for Public Education in Virginia: 2018-2023
The Board of Education's priorities and goals are the foundation for providing high-quality educational opportunities for all public school students in Virginia. In identifying these priorities and goals, the Board reached out to families, students, educators, administrators, community members, business leaders, higher education institutions, and the public through hundreds of comments provided during Board public hearings, presentations, and through correspondence. To ensure that all children in the Commonwealth have access to a high-quality education that prepares them for successful, healthy, and fulfilling lives, the Board developed the following priorities as outlined in the comprehensive plan:
- Priority 1: Provide high-quality, effective learning environments for all students
- Priority 2: Advance policies that increase the number of candidates entering the teaching profession and encourage and support the recruitment, development, and retention of well-prepared and skilled teachers and school leaders
- Priority 3: Ensure successful implementation of the Profile of a Virginia Graduate and the accountability system for school quality as embodied in the revisions to the Standards of Accreditation
The Board will continue to meet all statutory and regulatory requirements and work to engage all stakeholders in policy decisions and actions related to the Board's priorities and goals.
To contact a member of the Virginia Board of Education, please email BOE@doe.virginia.gov.