Frequently Asked Questions

Share & Bookmark, Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

For Parents

How do I enroll my child in school?

In order to enroll a child in a public school system in Virginia, state law requires a parent or guardian of a child to provide certain information to the child's school division. Go to Enrollment in Virginia Public Schools to ensure you have all the required information.

How do I provide home instruction for my child?

There are several options for alternative schooling. Visit Home Instruction for related information and required documentation.

How do I report teacher misconduct?

Teacher misconduct allegations may be emailed to

How do I report a local issue?

In Virginia, local school boards are responsible for the day-to-day governance of schools in each division. This includes decisions about the following:

  • Personnel
  • Student discipline
  • Attendance boundaries
  • Local textbook selection
  • Dress codes
  • Grading scales

Questions about these and other local matters should be directed to the appropriate school division. Contact information for Virginia school divisions and individual schools is available on the Virginia Schools Directory webpage.

For information about resolving issues related to special education services, visit the Resolving Disputes and For Parents pages.

For Teachers

How do I obtain a teaching license in Virginia?

The Virginia Department of Education licenses teachers and administrators according to regulations adopted by the Board of Education. Visit the Licensure page for information about the following:

  • Licensure application
  • Licensure renewal
  • Licensure changes
  • Approved teacher education programs
  • Reciprocity
  • Regulations

How do I pay my student loans?

Contact the U.S. Department of Education for information about obtaining or repaying loans.

For Students

How do I request a copy of my transcript?