News & Announcements
Proposed Changes to the Regulations Governing Educational Service for Gifted Students
At the October 15, 2020 Board of Education meeting, the Regulations Governing Educational Service for Gifted Students (Word) proposed changes were accepted (See Agenda Item J).
New 2022 Twice Exceptional Toolkit
The Supporting Teaching Twice Exceptional Students Toolkit Strategies (PDF) document is now available.
School divisions are required to identify gifted K-12 students and provide instructional services to meet their needs. The Virginia Board of Education adopted the Regulations Governing Educational Services for Gifted Students (PDF), which outline the requirements that school divisions need to include in their local plan for gifted education. Each school board approves a comprehensive plan for the education of gifted students that includes the components identified by the regulations. In addition, school divisions are required to submit a copy of their approved plan at the time of the VDOE’s request for a technical review.
Information related to gifted education services is reported annually to the Virginia Department of Education by each school division. The information is combined to produce a statewide annual report which includes student demographics, program service options, and gifted education teacher or program administrator data. At the state level, the Virginia Advisory Committee for the Education of the Gifted (VACEG) provides guidance to the Board of Education and Superintendent of Public Instruction about the educational needs of gifted students.
Local Plan for the Education of the Gifted
Division school boards are required by 8 VAC 20-40-60A to approve a comprehensive Local Plan for the Education of the Gifted that includes the components identified in the regulations. Each school division has a gifted education coordinator assigned the responsibility of overseeing the implementation of the local gifted plan. Each year, the VDOE conducts a technical review of local gifted plans, reviewing each school divisions’ gifted plan every five years.
- Format for Gifted Local Plan (Word) – template revised March 2017
- Reference Guide for the Development and Review of Local Plans for the Education of the Gifted (PDF) – new guide August 2011
- Technical Review of Local Gifted Education Plan (PDF) – new guide June 2013
- Local School Division Gifted Education Coordinators (Word)
- Local School Boards: Roles and Responsibilities in Gifted Programs (PDF)
- Roles and Responsibilities of Local Gifted Education Advisory Committees (PDF)
VDOE & VACEG Publications
- Supporting the Identification and Achievement of Twice-Exceptional Students
Navigating Gifted Education and Governor’s School Programs as a Military Transfer Student Briefing (PDF)
- Educational Opportunities for Gifted Students at the High School Level (PDF)
- Educational Opportunities for Gifted Middle School Students (PDF)
- Increasing Diversity in Gifted Education Programs in Virginia (PDF)
- Supporting Teaching Twice Exceptional Students Toolkit Strategies (PDF) - NEW
- Belin-Blank Center, The University of Iowa
- Center for Gifted Education, College of William and Mary
- Center for Talented Youth, Johns Hopkins University
- Connecting Young Thinkers Around the World, Johns Hopkins University
- Council for Exceptional Children – TAG
- Davidson Institute for Talent Development
- Gifted and Talented, Stanford University
- National Association for Gifted Children
- National Consortium of Secondary STEM Schools
- Northwestern Center for Talent Development, Northwestern University
- Supporting the Emotional Needs of the Gifted
- Vanderbilt Programs for Talented Youth, Vanderbilt University
- Virginia Association for the Gifted
- World Council for Gifted Children