Grants & Funding

Share & Bookmark, Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Federal Funding: IDEA Part B

LEA Annual Plan - Local Application for IDEA Part B Funds

Each local educational agency (LEA) including school divisions, state-operated programs, and the Virginia School for the Deaf and Blind at Staunton is required by state and federal law to submit an annual plan to the Virginia Department of Education for providing special education services to identified children with disabilities residing within the jurisdiction and demonstrate their funding eligibility. Each LEA must complete the Special Education Annual Plan and Application for Federal Funding workbook and submit the completed workbook using the Online Management of Grant Awards (OMEGA) System. Grant recipients can access OMEGA via SSWS, VDOE’s secure web portal through which users access all VDOE web applications.

2024-2025 Special Education Annual Plan / Part B Flow-Through Application - Due: May 10, 2024

Special Education Annual Plan/Application Professional Development Resources

  • Video: IDEA 2024-2025 Annual Plan Application Training - Please note the recording does not begin until slide eight of the PowerPoint. The first seven slides include introductions and objectives of the session. Please click on the Closed Caption (CC) or the three dots at the bottom of the screen for transcription of the session. If you have any questions or difficulties, please contact


Federal Allocations

Federal funds under Part B of the Individuals with Disabilities Education Improvement Act (IDEA) are available both for preschool and school-age special education programs.

IDEA Part B Flow-Through Funding 

IDEA Part B (Section 611) - Flow-Through Funding

IDEA Part B (Section 619) - Pre-School

IDEA Part B Allocations Under the American Rescue Plan Act (ARP)

IDEA-ARP Part B (Section 611) - Flow-Through Funding

IDEA-ARP Part B (Section 619) - Pre-School

State & Local Funding

State Funding

State funds are made available to school divisions to assist in the cost of implementing the state's special education program standards. For each child counted in the school division's average daily membership (ADM), an amount is paid to the school division for this purpose. This per-child amount is referred to as the special education add-on. This amount is determined by calculating the theoretical number of teachers and aides necessary to meet the special education program standards in each school (based on information supplied on the December 1 Count of Children Receiving Special Education and Related Services), and then determining the state's share of the theoretical cost of those teachers and aides. The state's share of this cost is determined according to the locality's composite index of local ability to pay.

Intensive Support Services state funds are available to school divisions that claim reimbursement for certain costs, for certain services provided to students that meet the criteria as Students with Intensive Support Needs. These funds are provided in lieu of the state funds referred above, when a school division has an approved Students with Intensive Support Services Needs Application (SISNA) on file with the VDOE's Office of Special Education and Student Services' unit of Special Education Finance and Budget. Intensive Support Services funds reimbursed represent the State Share of the actual costs incurred, after the school division's Local Composite Index is applied to the reported costs.

Children placed in private special education schools are funded through an interagency pool which exists under the Children's Services Act to pay the state's share of the cost of services for children who are in (or at risk of) out-of-home placement by any local public agency (i.e., courts, social services, or school division).

Local Funding

Local school boards determine how much local funding to request from the governing body (city council, town council, or board of supervisors) by costing out all its programs and then subtracting out the anticipated revenues from state, federal, and other sources.


School divisions may also seek federal Medicaid reimbursement for certain students and services by applying to the Virginia Department of Medical Assistance Services to be an approved provider.

  • Medicaid and Schools - School divisions can submit reimbursement claims to Medicaid for some services provided to students.