In addition to Virginia’s public schools in 132 divisions, there are private schools that provide educational opportunities, including private day schools and private residential schools for children. The Virginia Department of Education does not regulate these private schools. The Virginia Council for Private Education (VCPE) is recognized for the accreditation of private schools.
Pupil Transportation & Non-Public Educational Facilities
A number of Virginia laws concern private school transportation, including opportunities for public schools to provide transportation for private school students.
- Local school districts may enter into agreements with private schools to provide transportation but are not required to do so
- Parochial and private schools may not hire a school bus driver unless the individual meets the qualifications required of public-school bus drivers and presents the necessary documentation
- School buses transporting pupils to and from private or parochial schools may not discharge pupils in a manner that the child must cross a highway with two or more roadways separated by a physical barrier or unpaved area, or a highway with five or more lanes with the center lane a flush median marked for turning traffic only
More Information & Resources
- School Bus Driver In-Service Safety Series
- National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA)
- Choosing the Correct School Bus – Pre-School Transportation
- Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA)
- School Bus Safety for Parents & Students