Under Virginia law, parents have a fundamental right to make decisions concerning the upbringing, education, and care of their children. When schools partner with parents, and actively seek their involvement, students are more likely to experience improved outcomes.
VDOE provides the information on this page to help parents be more effective partners by staying informed of enrollment requirements, school performance, educational options, and many other important topics.
Education Options for Virginia Students
Updates from the Office of Parental Engagement
VDOE's Office of Parental Engagement encourages and supports parent engagement at all levels of public education in Virginia. By subscribing to the Parent Partner, parents learn about new resources to support student success and opportunities to help shape education policy in the Commonwealth.
Parent Ombudsman for Special Education
VDOE has a Parent Ombudsman for Special Education who acts as a source of information and referral, aids in answering individuals' questions, and assists in the resolution of concerns and issues. School divisions, parents, and children benefit and build relationships when school divisions and parents work together to resolve problems. The Parent Ombudsman for Special Education serves to facilitate that process.
Fast Finder for Parents
The following Virginia Department of Education resources include information to support parents with staying engaged with their student's progress in school.
Resources to Help Your Child Succeed in School
- Khan Academy - Provides high school students with free, small-group math tutoring and homework support.
- SchoolHouse.World - Provides high school students with free, small-group math tutoring and homework support.
- Learning Heroes: Parent-Teacher Planning Tool - Use this tool to help get ready for parent-teacher conferences.
- ChildCareVA.com - Provides a comprehensive repository of resources and information to make choosing safe, quality child care easier for parents.
- Local Alternative Education Options for Suspended and Expelled Students in the Commonwealth (PDF)
- TTAC: Steps to Success: Communication with Your Child's School - This brochure offers specific communication skills that may be helpful to parents as they develop and maintain partnerships with their child's school. It is available in Arabic, Chinese (Simplified), Haitian Creole, Hmong, Korean, Marshallese, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Somali, Spanish, and Vietnamese.
- US Department of Education Family and Community Engagement
- Postsecondary Opportunities for High School Students - Provides information for students on preparing, applying, and paying for college, as well as information on degrees and labor-market career projections.
- Model Policies Concerning Instructional Materials with Sexually Explicit Content